A Travellerspoint blog

Vancouver- The Angus Report

The big city

Vancouver was our last long stay city on our trip. The first day we were there we went over to a suspension bridge called Lynn canyon. It was basically a wooden slated bridge that crossed a fifty foot drop. Dad was a bit spooked because he has vertigo. At the end of the bridge there was another walk through the rainforest that we did as well before crossing back over. Also that afternoon we went for a drive before finding a soccer goal that I had a quick kick in. The next day we went for a drive that was supposed to be one of the best in the world. It was the drive from Vancouver to Whistler. The Sea to Sky Highway.  Whistler held some of the Olympics in 2010 so it was really cool seeing the ski slopes and the bobsledding coarse. Mum and I also went Zip-lining there. Zip-Lining is basically a couple  of  different lengths flying foxs that reach speeds of about 90 km an hour. It was really awesome because on the last line Mum and I went upside down. That was really thrilling and worth it. We looked around the shops there and I bought a neat little pin that will go into my collection. On Wednesday we all went to the Vancouver science centre for basically the whole day. It was a bit like the Brisbane science centre but better with more things to do. While I was there I figured out that I could throw a ball 65 km an hour. There was also an Omnimax Theatre there. That is a massive circular room and the film is all around you. We pwere going to do that but ran out of time. One of my favorite things there was all the different science shows there. They were really cool because the main thing they did was blow stuff up. That afternoon we went to the biggest library that I've ever seen that had about a million books and DVD's.  The next day we decided to go over to Stanley Park, one of the must see things in Vancouver. At this time of year it was really spectacular because of all the different colored autumn leaves all over the place. We hired some bikes that day and rode around the Seawall, an eight km walk around Stanley Park. That was good fun riding for a change because we have pretty much walked everywhere. After that Mum and I went on a little walk and saw a heap of raccoons that kept coming up to us wanting food. Mum and I walked home from Stanley Park then back to the hotel. On the way we stopped into 7/11 to get me a gigantic slushie to drink. On friday we went to a mini island called Granville Island that had a really awesome arcade that gave out tickets after each game had been played that you could get a prize for at the end. There was one game that you put in money, played the game and got your tickets only that was the catch, instead of getting the usual 12 tickets I discovered you could just keep pulling them out. In the end I got about 100 tickets out of it. We ending up coming back later to get more tickets because the lollipops were absolutely delicious. There was also some public markets that we had had lunch at, I had a weird, spicy Mexican dish. That afternoon we went over to Gas town, another must see part of Vancouver. There was a heap of souvenir shops that I ended up buying a pin from. It was a bit scary because all these drunk people came wandering up and asking questions. We didn't stay around that long and went home pretty quickly since it was about 8 o'clock. The next and last day in Vancouver we did a lot of different things. The first thing we did was go back to Granville Island and get more lollipops. Then we went over to Canada Place. That was were they did the main Olympic presentations. We got a couple of photos of the Olympic platform and one is on the blog.  At that time it was about 5 o'clock so we popped back to Gas town to grab a souvenir shirt and went back home. That night Dad and I went to a Canadian football match that was pretty awesome. We bought a heap of food and got ready for the game. The game had a really different atmosphere than Suncorp Stadium. Every one was going off after every touchdown. At the end I was really lucky because the ref chucked me a mini BC Lions footy after the game. I went straight to bed that night ready for an early morning ahead. In the morning we were going to catch a bus to Kamloops for the  second time to see our friends. I can't wait.

Posted by The Robbos 10:17

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.